Labels

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Art for Music's Sake: Dilek Bakaya

Mistress of Death
Many music fanatics like myself find their preferences in art to be shaped by the music they listen to. I've come to love artists like Gustave Dore and Albrect Durer because of their constant use in the world of metal ( as well as literature). Recently I've been enamored by Dilek Bakaya, whose body of work shows up on countless flyers here in nyc as well as some of my favorite bands's releases.

It comes as no surprise to hear her cite artists like Putrid, John Baizley, and Vania Zouravliov (amongst a slew of others) as inspirations. Many of her works seem like some wet dream amalgamation of those mentioned, amongst others, but not without her own dose of personality. Still attending art school, Dilek's work has been featured as flyers for bands such as Ghost, Masakari, Weedeater, Pentagram, and Eyehategod. Maybe it's common, but I'm astounded by not only her work, but the consistent quality of the bands she works with. It's one thing to churn out artwork for basement dwelling slam bands, but to be doing work for the "big boys" of the scene speaks volumes of her enthralling style.

Finding her process through lyrics first, other attributes such as the music's speed further influence her when creating a piece of work for a particular artist. Looking at the cover for the Infernal Stronghold/Absu split you can see each band's influence upon it as the verbose and archaic influences of Absu match the grime soaked fury of Infernal Stronghold in an outcome that's dense, overwhelming and cryptically detailed.
Absu/Infernal Stronghold flexi.

When working with a particular band Dilek makes sure that her work fits accordingly, as she states: "very rarely do I just draw whatever I feel like drawing, I always make sure that there is a distinct visual connection to the band itself."

Speaking on her latest piece, Night Bride, Dilek comments saying that "Night Bride, is my favorite piece since the city of Istanbul can be seen in the piece. It was about time for me to pay tribute to my Turkish heritage in my work, since it means so much to me."
Night Bride

When asked about her own aspirations and work Dilek voiced an urge to "branch out from doing work for bands... to start doing something else to keep things exciting for myself." One would hope this wouldn't mean a segue out of the world of music as in such a short amount of time she's become a recognizable power.

Be sure to follow her through these various links...it's only a matter of time before your favorite band has her John Hancock all over their cover.

2 comments:

POOTS said...

Great article, there is so much texture in her art it bug my eyes out slightly, like a 'magic-eye' trick.

Maybe its just my Astigmatism.

Perpetual Strife said...

haha, i agree completely. It's the density of her work, the lines, the rhythm to it that impresses me so much. You're also going blind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...