Labels

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wretch-The Senseless Violence

Australia's Wretch deliver nearly 13 minutes of grind infused death metal focusing on rape, dismemberment, feces, and other household topics with their debut The Senseless Violence.

The band's style reminds me of early 2000's death metal acts like Aborted or Dying Fetus yet Wretch carry the ability to chop death metal songs into grindcore like pacing and size. This works well for them as my personal preferences lean to the grindier, less polished side of things.

The high points of the EP rest in the band's lean song structures, impeccable drumming, and the slick opener "Purveyors of Senseless Violence." The low points would have to be the lyrics, ("I cannot decide/ which half to fuck/ or which half to hide." from "(Dis)located"), the modulated vocals and the over enthusiastic use of pinch harmonics.

As I've said, this isn't something I normally seek out, but given the band's promising capabilities in their riffing, drum work, and chops, makes me think Wretch have something going for them.

Definitely worth your time if gore-grind or anything like that is up your ally, this is way better than the majority of the stuff I've heard from that scene.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...